Recent

Author Topic: Big .dll , .so  (Read 5410 times)

fredycc

Big .dll , .so
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »
I have a question about the size of dll's or so files, because my dll in delphi is 90 Kb aprox. but after compile this the file is about 397 Kb i try to use optimization option but the result is the same, this file in Linux is 600 Kb, i need to understad why?, please. I can reduce the size of my file after compile it?  :(

The version of Lazarus in Windows that I use is 0.9.26.2 beta. :)

theo

• Global Moderator
Re: Big .dll , .so
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:29:59 pm »
You can probably reduce it a little by unchecking in Compiler Options -> Linking -> "Display Line Numbers in Runtime Errror backtraces".

But why is this a problem?
I had to update my navigation maps yesterday. 2.3 GB download from Internet via USB to a MicroSD Card (Big as my thumbnail) in my navi.
It's 2009 ;-)

cpalx

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:14:10 am »
use
strip

then

upx

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:20:23 am »
use
strip

then

upx
Either you're not aware or don't know, stripping dynamic libraries also strip their functions / procedures entry points. Meaning that the libraries won't be useful anymore. Using -Xs is safer. Additionally, -XX might decrease the size, too.

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:59:53 pm »
besided strip, I don't know the effect of upx-ing the dll. By doing so you might end up with several instances of the same dll.
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

fredycc

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:22:50 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, i try to configure the compiler for Lazarus(win) with great results  :), the dll reduce from 364 Kb to 83 Kb, but the same file compiled for Lazarus(linux) ubuntu the so is 767 Kb  %) , I use this dll for UDF in Firebird, the file works for me but I don´t know about the performance or how this cant affect Firebird.

Thanks. the version of Lazarus in my Linux is 0.9.24 beta.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018