Recent

Author Topic: How to add i18n to your application  (Read 8476 times)

diablow

How to add i18n to your application
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:33:02 am »
Finally, I managed to find a simple and effective way to make my application localizeable. It uses just one unit and no code.
1. Add unit "defaulttranslator" to your uses list.
2. Enable "i18n" in "Project Options" and set "PO output directory" to "locale" or "languages". You can put translation files right into application folder, but that would just make a mess. Don't forget to create an appropriate folder.
3. Add components to the form. If you already have all components on your form, you'll have to move it a little bit, so it's modified.
4. Save your project.
5. Now there should be .po files in your "locale" or "languages" folder. For different languages files should be copied and renamed like so "project1.XX.po", where XX is language code (e.g. "en", "de", etc.).
6. Translate .po files with translation software, and generate .mo files. I suggest to use POEdit.
7. Run your application, and the translation to be used will be chosen by your regional locale settings. If you need to test other language - just start your application with following command line parameters - "-l XX" or "-lang XX", where XX is a language code.
This method is not very versatile, but it translates resource strings and LCL component properties.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018