Forum > Linux

Puppy Linux

(1/3) > >>

LazaruX:
Could anybody get Lazarus on Puppy Linux working?
If yes how?

guastatore:
What's the problem do you have ? And what version of Puppy Linux ?

AFAIK I should

1. Download devx_xxx.sfs file and put it into the / of your pupsave file. Then reboot
2. Download fpc 2.3.1 sources then make clean all and make install.
3. Download Lazarus sources, then make clean all, then ./lazarus and you have it

Antonio

TheBlackSheep:
I've started from a fresh install of Puppy4 and I reckon if you follow this (hopefully) you'll be able to get Lazarus installed on Puppy...

I've done this from a standard Puppy 411 installation (i.e. frugal with just the minimum configuration - keyboard, network, sound). Go through the normal initial process to generate the pup_save.2fs file (i.e. shutdown Puppy and create a 2fs file).

Next get devx_411.sfs (or equivalent for your version) and put it into the root folder where puppy was loaded from.  You'll need that to initially compile fpc (the free pascal compiler).

Open a terminal and type "gcc" (without the quotes) - if you get "command not found" then devx_xxx.sfs isn't loaded.  So you need to load this by going into the "Boot Manager" on the System menu, the files in the left window are those loadable and move it to the right using the arrows in the centre.  Once you've said to Puppy to load it at startup you can retry typing "gcc" in a  terminal to see if it is loaded - however, you might need to reboot to load it.

Anyway, you basically need to get to the point where typing "gcc" in the terminal window returns "gcc: no input files".  This means the gnu-c compiler has loaded, now we can start on getting fpc installed which is needed for Lazarus.

Ok go to

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=89339&package_id=192182

You'll need the "fpc-2.2.2.i386-linux.tar" file first, so download that to your "My Documents" folder.

and then the same with  Lazarus "lazarus-0.9.26-0.tgz"

For lazarus, you also need the fpc source which you can download from...

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/freepascal/fpc-2.2.2.source.tar.gz?download

ok now browse to your "my-documents" folder and click on the first fpc tar file (i.e. not the source tar file). XArchive should open the file - there are four files in here, select them all and extract them - I created a folder called fpc under "my-documents" and put them in there.   

Go back to your terminal and navigate to your my-documents folder as in

"cd ~my-d*"

do an "ls" just to check you are now there and can see the files you downloaded and the folder "fpc".

now do a cd into the fpc folder

"cd fpc"

again "ls" or "pwd" to see that you are in the right folder.

ok now type "./install.sh" and press return and just keep agreeing to all the defaults...

when it's finished and taken you back to the prompt, type "fpc" and it should return a page of information for the Free Pascal Compiler v2.2.2, keep pressing enter till the output completes.  Ok 1/2 way there...

Ok first things first, we need to install gtk1 (gtk2 is installed by default) but Lazarus is currently a gtk1 application.  Install gtk+12.1.2.10 from the "Official Puppy3" option within the "PETget package manager".

This should also install glib12, imlib and gdk_pixbuf (and these library files libgdk-1.2.so.0.9.1, libgtk-1.2.so.0.9.1 and some missing library dependencies  - libgmodule-1.2.so.0 libglib-1.2.so.0 libgmodule-1.2.so.0 libglib-1.2.so.0)

Now we need to let the compiler know that we've got everything we need so it can link everything.  In the terminal window, type "cd /usr/lib" (takes you to the "/usr/lib" folder) and then type

"ln libglib-1.2.so.0 libglib.so"
then...
"ln libgdk-1.2.so.0 libgdk.so"
and
"ln libgtk-1.2.so.0 libgtk.so"
and
"ln libgdk_pixbuf.so.2 libgdk_pixbuf.so"
and
"ln /usr/lib/X11R7/lib/libXi.so.6.0.0 libXi.so"

What we've done here is create some symbolic links to the actual files that fpc will need to be able to link Lazarus at the end of the compilation - without this you'll get errors when it tries to build the Lazarus application.

Go back to the file browser (Rox-filer or whatever) and click on the Lazarus file you downloaded earlier.  The compressed file will open in XArchive (may take a few seconds as there's a lot here), press the "Select All" button and then "Extract".  Now I struggled here to have enough memory (remember Puppy installs almost completely into memory) to hold Lazarus and compile it within the normal puppy file system.  I suggest if you can put the extracted files outside the puppy filesystem. I have a frugal install and my running files sit on an ext2 file system so I just extraced the files to the root of that, this way it won't affect your running memory.   

So when you extract it'll ask for the folder where you want to put the files - as mentioned above I browsed to the underlying file system.

Ok now you need to navigate to the folder where you've just extracted the lazarus source, so this will be something like "cd /mnt/home/lazarus" or alternatively browse to the folder in rox-filer, right-click and on the "Window" menu option click "Terminal here".

type "ls" and you should see all the files you've just extracted.

ok final bit - type "make" and all the various units will be compiled, hopefully without error. 

Once it is built it should have created a file called "startlazarus". Click on this and Lazarus will (should?) launch.  It might give an error when it starts about not finding the fpc source, if you go to "Environment"->"Environment Options" you'll see a blank option in "FPC source directory" - to fix this go back and open the "fpc...source" file.  Now again, there's a lot of files here so ideally we want these outside the puppy memory based filesystem. "Select All" and "Extract" these to the "Lazarus" folder (in my case this is effectively "/mnt/home/lazarus").  On my system this folder looks like "/initrd/mnt/dev_save/lazarus/fpc-2.2.2/", hopefully no more errors and you've got a working Lazarus running on Puppy!

Ok that's it, you could of course create a shortcut on the desktop or in the menu to the "startlazarus" file to make it easier to run...

Best of luck!

Chris

alejol0:
I have tried the instructions but Lazarus do not want to be compiled.
I have used Puppy Linux 4.2
Have downloaded dev_420.sfs and Free Pascal source, and I have
fpc compiler working.
But the gtk libray do not have some *pixbuf* file, and Lazarus IDE
never appears.
Can anyone make an installer of Lazarus for Puppy Linux 4.2?

guastatore:

--- Quote from: alejol0 on May 04, 2009, 09:07:00 pm ---I have tried the instructions but Lazarus do not want to be compiled.
I have used Puppy Linux 4.2
Have downloaded dev_420.sfs and Free Pascal source, and I have
fpc compiler working.
But the gtk libray do not have some *pixbuf* file, and Lazarus IDE
never appears.
Can anyone make an installer of Lazarus for Puppy Linux 4.2?

--- End quote ---

Try to compile Lazarus with:
make clean all LCL_PLATFORM=gtk2

Anyway, try to find on puppy forum gdk_pixbuf library and install it. If you can't find it try to put on your puppy file system an ubuntu package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/libgdk-pixbuf2 . Use undeb in Puppy to esplode the package and manually copy it onto / .

Antonio

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version