Recent

Author Topic: A better installation guide for Debian Linux?  (Read 6848 times)

WILL

• Pascal Game Development
A better installation guide for Debian Linux?
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:05:29 am »
It is seriously CONFUSING how the installation for Lazarus is to be done for those in Debian Linux. I mean, just installing for Linux was bad enough, but then that tiny undescriptive section for Debian just threw me for a loop(and infanite loop to be exact).

Can anyone please provide a better set of instructions for installing Lazarus on Debian? Or maybe can someone rewrite the Linus Installation guide so that the Debian segments are more detailed and a bit easier to follow what is for Debian and what is for the others?

I would truely appreciate this, thanks in advance! ;)

Hopefully I can be using Free Pascal under Debian this coming Jan.
PGD - The home of Pascal Game Development
Formerly DGDev & DelphiGamer

Checkout Pascal Gamer Magazine!

eric

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 09:17:46 am »
Here's how I did it, and it's really quite easy:

1. Download the RPMs for fpc-1.9.5 and fpcsrc-1.9.5. Use Alien to convert these to DEBs, then install them in the usual Debian way. You may find that this fails to create /etc/fpc.cfg, in which case you have to get a copy of the template for this file and hand modify it to suit your system. You will certainly need to add the path to the Gnome libraries in the 'library' section - e.g. -Fl/usr/lib
2. Download the latest Lazarus daily snapshot source and unpack it to an appropriate directory, or (better) get it via CVS. I have it in my home directory, as this eliminates problems of access permissions.
3. Make sure that you have the necessary development packages installed on your system. gtk-dev and gdk-pixbuf-dev are probably not installed by default (I'm not sure offhand if these are exactly the right names).
4. CD into your lazarus directory and type 'make' without the quotes. If this fails with a linking error, then you probably need to install some more development package(s).

If the build succeeds, then you can type ./lazarus to run Lazarus. If it fails and you can't resolve it, come back and ask.

Eric

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 01:52:04 pm »
Both of you, (actually anybody) are wellcome to enhence the installation documentation on http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:54:35 pm »
Hi! o/
I experienced an error after installing lazarus under knoppix debian (kurumin) via apt-get (a great resource I have to say) and what I got was an error that blocks any compilation, even the form editing crashes!! O_O
I've installed the FPC, 1.9.4 I guess, and lazarus does not recognize as /usr/lib/fpc/1.9.4/units/lix as the fpc's directory ;_;
Please I need a help cause just this error causes the delaying of totally migrating my entire job (and more than 30 computers) to linux o/
TKS and best regards

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 05:06:48 pm »
I installed Lazarus 0.9.4.1 on XP and PCLinuxOS (Mandrake) with zero problems.
For Ubuntu (Debian) I solved my problems doing alien -c to preserve scripts - this way fpc.cfg is created and following the instructions on
http://www.freepascal.org/packages/gtk/tutorial/pgtk2.html

I've been following lazarus for a long time and I feel that the time is coming... now we need components. Lots of...

Lightning

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 06:03:12 pm »
You could also try the new installer for Linux, see the news.
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018