Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.10 / Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit Debugger Set-Up  (Read 9047 times)

MalabarFlash

Lazarus 1.10 / Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit Debugger Set-Up
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »
A Pascal Program I wrote with Lazarus 1.08 Vista 32 bit will run perfectly with Lazarus 1.10 only if I disable the debugger in the options menu.  With the same debugger (the default) I used in windows the program "hangs up".  At the very top I see the message "debugging". 

Is there some setting I need to change so I can use the debugger?

By trial and error I determined that Lazarus 1.10 in 64 bit Ubuntu is case sensitive when reading file names unlike Lazarus 1.08 in Vista 32 bit.  Why the difference?

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
Re: Lazarus 1.10 / Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit Debugger Set-Up
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
Because the file system in linux, from the beginning, is case sensitive!  :-X

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:22:43 pm »
A Pascal Program I wrote with Lazarus 1.08 Vista 32 bit will run perfectly with Lazarus 1.10 only if I disable the debugger in the options menu.  With the same debugger (the default) I used in windows the program "hangs up".  At the very top I see the message "debugging". 
Because the IDE is currently debugging the program. If your program's form doesn't appear, there might be a problem. Try a blank form project and ensure it appears.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:52 pm »
The problem with 1.0.10 is only on Ubuntu (64 bit) or also on Vista(32) ?
Did you try 1.0.8 on Ubuntu (NO need to try, if you did not already)

Which version of GDB is on your system (Ubuntu)?
There are know problems with gdb 7.5.9 and 7.6 up (gdb itself crashes) an all platforms.

Is your Ubuntu installed in English? (None English Linux systems sometime come with localized GDB).
For how  to solve see http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Using_a_translated_GDB_.28none_English_responses_from_GDB.29

Otherwise you can try and produce a log,  which you can attach here:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Log_info_for_debug_session

MalabarFlash

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »
I did not try 1.08 on Ubuntu.  Is the default debugger for 1.08 without the known problems?  I can install 1.08, but changing the debugger or even determining which version I have is beyond my current capabilities.  I try to stay with the defaults as much as possible.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:51 pm »
Ok, some info:
1) GDB is a separate project, but used by Lazarus for debugging
2) On ubuntu GDB is part of ubuntu, so I can not tell what you have.

Open a terminal and type GDB and return. It will display a message including version and copyright.
You can leave gdb with   q  and return.

Or better provide the log file (this usually contains the version). Just open a terminal and enter
Code: [Select]
lazarus  --debug-log=LOG_FILE  --debug-enable=DBG_CMD_ECHO,DBG_STATE,DBG_DATA_MONITORS,DBGMI_QUEUE_DEBUG,DBGMI_TYPE_INFO

where LOG_FILE  is the name of the file, with path) like
/home/USERNAME/lazlog.txt

then try to debug something, get the error, and exit the IDE.Now upload the file.

MalabarFlash

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:50 am »
Martin,

Here is the terminal output.  As you see, I have 7.5.91.  The selected text did not produce a result.

gordie@gordie-KZ853AV-ABA-m9300z:~$ gdb
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5.91.20130417-cvs-ubuntu
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
(gdb) q
gordie@gordie-KZ853AV-ABA-m9300z:~$ lazarus  --debug-log=LOG_FILE  --debug-enable=DBG_CMD_ECHO,DBG_STATE,DBG_DATA_MONITORS,DBGMI_QUEUE_DEBUG,DBGMI_TYPE_INFO
lazarus: command not found
gordie@gordie-KZ853AV-ABA-m9300z:~$

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:08 am »
On ubuntu the name of the program should be startlazarus (the starter helper program) or lazarus-ide (the real ide program)

MalabarFlash

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 01:20:10 am »
Thanks to Leledumbo and Martin_fr.

I can not say your suggestions solved my problem, but each of you gave me a clue.  It wasn't form that needed to be visible, but the "Terminal Output" in the Debug Windows menu.  With the debugger selected in Tools/Options this window is called "Console", but without the debugger selected it is called "Terminal". 

There are a couple things I find confusing coming from windows:
1.  The window, "Terminal Output" can also be used for input.
2.  In Windows "Running" is displayed while the program in running.  In Ubuntu "Debugging" is displayed whether the program is waiting for user input or is actually running.

GDB 7.5.91 was not the cause of my problem, but the fact that the console window did not pop up as it does in Windows automatically.

I do not know whether any of this qualifies as a bug, but it certainly is confusing.  PROBLEM SOLVED!

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:15:48 am »
The issue of the console not popping up is known, but rather considered a missing feature.

1) on windows there is an actual difference in the exe, indicating if there should be a console. And if there should then the OS is opening it (Lazarus has nothing to do with that)

2) On Linux console and GUI app are the same, they both use the console of the terminal from which they where started. Well if they where started from terminal / Desktop shortcuts may include opening a terminal. And GUI apps may just ignore it.

3) So lazarus should only open the console window, if there is output.... but that is a to-do item

MalabarFlash

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 04:26:54 pm »
When this "missing feature" is added, I suggest it emulate Windows console as closely as possible allowing both input and output.  Specifically, I can use the backspace to correct typos in Windows, but in linux my program crashes.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 04:45:43 pm »
While I agree that this needs to be improved, it does not look like it will be soon. There is a huge list of other issues.

anyway there are other options http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Debugger_Console_App

TinyPortal © 2005-2018