Recent

Author Topic: Same as before  (Read 14349 times)

MikeFinch

Same as before
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:35:02 am »
Folks! I have just installed and tested v1.1 of 3 Dec 2012 for linux. Things are definitely improving but the same two irritations as I reported 3 years ago are still there - namely A) comboboxes will not hold a list by the bottom border; the list continues to the bottom of the screen, and B) the columns property in ListBox still does not work; one column only against the left hand border is all I get, but at least it is within the ListBox!

I AM WILLING TO SEND MY CODE (and also Windows code) to anyone who can seriously address this problem.

I am a linux fan and am forced to use the Windows versions of my software but would, naturally, prefer to use my linux versions!

My email address is mikfinch@bigpond.net.au (I rarely look at this forum - perhaps you can deduce why!!).

Cheers, Mike Finch

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Same as before
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:33:08 am »
Have you reported the problem to bugtracker with compilable example or screenshot?

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »
(I rarely look at this forum - perhaps you can deduce why!!).

But you do expect us to help you?????

Bart

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »
Yes, very strange. Hope he takes at least the effort to report the bugs in the bugtracker...

Perhaps he could even post his code fixes in those bugs so somebody can "seriously address this problem"...
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

typo

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:51:19 pm »
It is useless to throw a message on forum like someone who throws a bottle into the sea, without even see the answers.

We do want to help, but it is necessary at least comply with the protocol of posting it on bugtracker.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:54:01 pm by typo »

MikeFinch

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:58:16 am »
Further to my message of 5 December complaining about the poor performance of ListBox and ComboBox under Lazarus Linux, I now offer png photos to highlight the problem. They are taken with KSnapshot.
Photo 1 : this is an example of a combobox in Windows7. Perfect!
Photo 2 : this is unfortunately non-existent because every time I clicked the mouse the overlong dropdown list vanished (on trying ctrl-N - which is supposed to take a photo - the dropdown list remained on screen, but ctrl-N did NOT take a (N)ew photo!).
Photo 3 : a ListBox with five columns (using the columns property) under Windows7 - perfectly OK!
Photo 4 : a ListBox , also with the columns property set to 5, only displays ONE column left justified but at least within the ListBox boundaries. I am using Mageia 2.
Some of those who responded before this suggested I make a bug report. Supposedly knowledgeable people who commented about a year ago insisted it was not a bug problem, but some sort of graphics problem[?].
I only wish these problems would attract some serious attempt to fix them. I'm not competent enough to do it myself.
Mike Finch

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:04:45 am »
Some of those who responded before this suggested I make a bug report. Supposedly knowledgeable people who commented about a year ago insisted it was not a bug problem, but some sort of graphics problem[?].
Just report first, the developer team can then analyze and decide whether it's a bug or not. That's how bug management works: you report, team decides (and probably fix), so you don't have to worry about what others say.
I only wish these problems would attract some serious attempt to fix them. I'm not competent enough to do it myself.
And as you probably already know, it would never gets fixed if no one reports to the bugtracker. It's likely to be forgotten.

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
Sometimes problems are easier to solve when there is a test project we can try. If you can make a simple test project, that is enough to show the bugs, it would be great. Combobox could have some random test data like numbers from 1 to 10000, or how many you are normally testing with.

Project can be zipped and uploaded as attachment to forum post, just don't add any files that are larger than 100kb unpacked.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »
A: It's the same question as every year ;-)
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,9873.msg52576.html

B: TListbox.Columns is only implemented on Windows. See Restriction Browser.

BigChimp

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »
A: It's the same question as every year ;-)
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,9873.msg52576.html
Perhaps we should celebrate Mike Finch Groundhog Day or something.

@Mike: if you're still there: try reading instead of complaining. Otherwise, hope to see you next year ;)
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

MikeFinch

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 02:49:36 am »
Thankyou User 137!! I've taken your advice to produce whittled down versions (Windows and Linux) to give you an opportunity to see/test my problems.
The trouble is the zipped files seem too large (can you confirm this?).
The details are:
A) Windows. (In both cases the database is 153kb in size). The "raw" exe file is 15,456kb and this strips down to 1613kb. The zipped file (with database) is 667kb.
B) Linux. The raw file is 24.3mb and strips down to 4687kb. The zipped file is 1617kb.
It seems the linux files are not as compressible as the Windows equivalents[?].
However, what do you think? Am I able to attach/send the zipped files (you mention a figure of 100kb).
Mike Finch

BigChimp

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:00 am »
Don't include the executables, include only the source, and specify Lazarus+OS+widgetset version.

MikeFinch

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 11:53:18 pm »
User137 and BigChimp (and all)

I am ready to send zipped files of source code that are both 485kb in size. User137 said to not send files larger than 100kb unpacked.

Most of the ".o" files are more than 100kb; do I have to exclude them?

The datafile is "153kb" although it doesn't (nominally) reduce in size when records are deleted; how do I handle that?

Mike Finch

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 06:32:33 am »
Most of the ".o" files are more than 100kb; do I have to exclude them?

Delete .o and .ppu files, delete executables (.exe on Windows, without extension on Linux). These files need not be distributed with source.
Then zip the project folder.
It seems that the limit is not so small as it used to be - it is 250 kb now. Anyway, you can test it -- try to send the file and if you are refused, you can do something to reduce file size.
If you cannot put everything in a zip file under size limit, you can make two posts and send everything divided in two parts.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »
Delete .o and .ppu files, delete executables (.exe on Windows, without extension on Linux). These files need not be distributed with source.

There is "Project -> Publish Project", which copies only the necessary files to an extra folder.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018